Tuesday 19 July 2011

The search for the business value of IT

A few years ago I was in an executive meeting with 7 of my peer managers, the gruff and aggressive CEO was screaming at me “David you are the CIO, prove to me what value your IT team deliver to the business, how many millions have you made for the organisation, where is the bang for my buck?” I gave a lame reply that was shouted down, the meeting did not go well. It set me on a quest to really understand the value that IT delivers to an organisation. As a part time researcher and lecturer in IT Management at the University of Technology Sydney, as a qualified accountant with a degree in economics and as a senior IT executive I have a great deal of insight into the value of IT. This weekly blog will cover a wide range of technology management issues focusing on IT value, IT benefits, IT strategic competitive advantage and the information revolution and social computing revolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment